List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Themeing ? (was: Usability tests should not focus on icons)
From:       Denis =?iso-8859-1?q?Br=E6khus?= <denis () startsiden ! no>
Date:       2001-07-26 12:00:24

On Thursday 26 July 2001 08:05 pm, Charles de Miramon wrote:
> We should accept that icons are conventions... The newbie user will have to
> learn these conventions (like he learned the Windows conventions) but we
> should help him with good info-tips and info-bubbles.
>
> Cheers,
> Charles

A lot of talk here centers around making Windows users (i.e. the general
public) comfortable with using the KDE. While this is a very good motive and
necessary focus for a usability study, could some of these needs / wishes be
incorporated in themeing ?

If a user, new to KDE but familiar with Windows wants to learn KDE, what
about the option of selecting a "Windows like theme / style" during setup ?
(2.2 has something along these lines, but it mostly deals with decorations
AFAIK.)
Obviously it's easier to familiarize if the K button has "Start [K icon]"
instead of just  "[K icon]"...

As a more advanced user would be put off by this, there is no good reason for
changing what works for a majority of the user base anyway. I definitely like
the KDE styles of 2.1 and 2.2 a lot, much prettier and more elegant than
Windows..

A question :
What scale is this usability testing supposed to go with ? I have in my
circle of friends a number of users that would fit in many different
categories, and who have no previous KDE experience, it would be very
interesting to let them run such a test.

--
mvh
Denis Brækhus - ABC Startsiden A/S