List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Getting started
From:       Jono Bacon <f9808590 () wlv ! ac ! uk>
Date:       2001-07-23 14:28:50

Hello guys,

Thanks for your prompt responses. I think we should organise a plan of attack.
I propose that we do the following:

 - Create a module in www in the CVS to hold the site. We can then commit code
to the CVS for updates to the site.

 - If Chris could start building a KDE style site for the usability study and
stick it in www/usability or something that would be great.

 - I will email Martin Konold (if I can get hold of him) to organise getting
usability.kde.org set up. We may need to have devel-home.kde.org/~usability/
and have a cron job that cvs's the www/usability to the htdocs of that account.

We need to know the following:

 - Does the server support PHP? I assume it does as other sites use PHP.

 - Which Database if any does the server support.

What currently exist?

I have already built part of a usability site over at
kdeusability.sourceforge.net. What I started building was an API of questions
that we can use to construct online questionnaires. Each question is a function
that can be used to add a question to the questionaire - the only thing to hard
code was the SQL to add the results of the questionnaire to the DB.

What I will do is take all the code I had written at
kdeusability.sourceforge.net, zip it up and shove it on a server somewhere so
we can see if it will be useful for the new usability.kde.org site. I think
some of it will be useful and some won't.

While I am sorting this out, those of you wo are interested in building
questions suitable for the study and building usability tests can go ahead and
plan out what we need to ask, to who and what we expect to get back.

I think one thing we really need to build into the usability site is a good
method of visualising data. Maybe we can plot graphs of our data and such.

Cheers,

           Jono

--
Jono Bacon - [vmlinuz] -- jono@kde.org