List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: Getting started
From:       "Chris Howells" <howells () kde ! org>
Date:       2001-07-23 14:39:28

> From: Jono Bacon <f9808590@wlv.ac.uk>

>  - Create a module in www in the CVS to hold the site. We can then commit
code
> to the CVS for updates to the site.
>
>  - If Chris could start building a KDE style site for the usability study
and
> stick it in www/usability or something that would be great.

Sure.

Might be good to ask if a module called usability.kde.org could be set up
though -- that was done for edu.kde.org and it probably means that it's
easier to separate from the rest of www/.

BTW -- is it OK about me going on holiday on Thursday -- I won't be able to
do vast quantities on it until 14th August ;)

>  - I will email Martin Konold (if I can get hold of him) to organise
getting
> usability.kde.org set up. We may need to have
devel-home.kde.org/~usability/
> and have a cron job that cvs's the www/usability to the htdocs of that
account.

Without trying to sound pushy, but if Bernhard Rosenkraenzer
(bero@redhat.com) was able to host the domain, we could probably have
usability.kde.org easily.

>  - Does the server support PHP? I assume it does as other sites use PHP.

I hope it does :) I can't work without PHP ;)

>  - Which Database if any does the server support.

Disclaimer: I know nothing about MySQL etc, and little about advanced PHP
scripting.

> What I will do is take all the code I had written at
> kdeusability.sourceforge.net, zip it up and shove it on a server
somewhere so
> we can see if it will be useful for the new usability.kde.org site. I
think
> some of it will be useful and some won't.

I'll start building a skelton page in the existing KDE format. You should
be able to make something of that and the stuff from the old site.

--
Cheers, Chris Howells -- chris@chrishowells.co.uk, howells@kde.org
Web: http://chrishowells.co.uk, PGP key: http://chrishowells.co.uk/pgp.txt