List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Gnome usability test and a suggestion for KDE...
From:       Charles de Miramon <charles.de.miramon () libertysurf ! fr>
Date:       2001-07-22 14:14:59

Hello,

I don't know if it is the right list to post this but here it goes...

I've read the Gnome Usability Test which I found rather interesting. I think
that some remarks that have been made about Gnome could also apply to KDE.
For example, Sun engineers have asked users to find a file and users had
difficulty discovering the find utility buried in the menus. You could say
the same thing for KDE (I'm running KDE 2.1.1 installed on a LM 8.0).

But I don't think the answer is to put the find utility on the top-level of
the K-menu. In my opinion, KDE has mimicked there too much MsWindows. I'm
working in humanities where most of my collegues are totally hopeless with
computers and I've discovered that most of them have difficulty
distinguishing between data files and applications. The
windows-start-here-button is difficult for them to understand because it
mixes 3 different things 1) launching programs 2) operations with files (for
example the list of the last opened files) 3) changing the settings of your
computer.
A desktop where these 3 things are clearly separated is, I think, easier to
understand. I would suggest for the KDE desktop 4 buttons :
1) for launching applications and exiting the desktop
2) for managing my files [Kfind, Konqui, lists of bookmarks and files]
3) for controlling the desktop [Kpersonalizer, Kcontrol, Mandrake Control
Center]
4) for finding help [Khelp center, Ktips, Mandrake Help]

You may answer that it is already more or less like that already. But
computers-newbies think that if they find an icon in two different places it
means that is is two different programs. Therefore, to be able to launch
kcontrol by the kmenu (first level) and by the kicker is, in my opinion, bad
UI because it is confusing.

Separating clearly between an application-centered way to enter the KDE
desktop and a document-centered way is a good thing. When a hopeless
computer-user wants to open a wordprocessor file, he will rather browse his
directory until he founds the file and double-click on it, than fire a
wordprocessor and use the file-open dialog.  KDE should accomodate for these
kind of users if we want to be more mainstream.

Comments....

Charles