List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: [KDE Usability] KMix UI orientation
From:       Aurélien_Gâteau <agateau () kde ! org>
Date:       2012-05-24 19:20:57

Le jeudi 24 mai 2012 12:00:36 Trever Fischer a =E9crit :
> On Thu, 2012-05-24 at 15:23 +0200, Aur=E9lien G=E2teau wrote:

> > > =

> > > I agree that "Because Apple does it that way" isn't a valid argument =
for
> > > usability per se. I'm still convinced, however, that for a single sli=
der
> > > with no labels it is preferable (because of the easier "up/down"
> > > mapping.
> > > =

> > > What this screenshot made me think about, however, is a more fundamen=
tal
> > > question: Do we really want to present fine-grained volume controls o=
n a
> > > per-application level in a popup? Is that really something users want=
> > > change very often? Personally, I am pretty sure they don't. What users
> > > want
> > > to change quickly is the master volume, because the sound overall is
> > > either
> > > too quiet or too loud. And if my ears almost burst because the sound =
is
> > > too
> > > loud, I want to change it real quick, without being presented with lo=
ts
> > > of
> > > sliders to choose from. You are more likely to fiddle around with the
> > > detailed controls when you take the time to setup everything perfectl=
y.
> > > So I strongly suggest we should discuss whether it actually makes sen=
se
> > > have more than one slider in the popup (vs. only showin them in the
> > > mixer
> > > window) and then discuss layout preferences.
> > =

> > I agree with this: multiple sliders in the popup is too much and goes in
> > the way of quickly adjusting current volume.
> =

> I dunno. I rather like Windows 7's slider:
> =

> http://www.ibiblio.org/tkan/audio/win7_desktop.png

What is on this screenshot is not a simple popup: it's a full blown dialog, =

complete with window decoration and close button. You could get this with K=
Mix =

by simply getting rid of the popup and showing KMix window instead. The poi=
nt =

of the popup is to provide a simplified UI for quick adjusts.

Aur=E9lien =