List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: [KDE Usability] Oxygen animations configuration
From:       Leo Spalteholz <leo.spalteholz () gmail ! com>
Date:       2009-11-30 23:37:16

On Mon, Nov 30, 2009 at 2:55 PM, Markus <kamikazow@web.de> wrote:

>> The Oxygen animations configuration dialog is completely insane.
>
> 1.) Use nicer language please.

Sorry.  Knee jerk reactions are bad, hope I didn't offend anyone.

> 2.) I bet that this is not the final design.

Would be nice.

> 3.) I followed parts of the conversation regarding the animation
> implementation. There was much support for finer grained config than only
> "switch everything on/off". Some (such as myself) even suggested slide bars to
> even configure the animation speed. :-)

I just re-read that discussion and didn't see any support for
increased configuration (the thread "animations" in oxygen in
kde-devel) aside from your post advocating sliders.   Anyway, just
supporting something is not enough when it has definite negative
aspects (configuration clutter and code complexity being the two most
important).
There has to be a valid use case.  Why would anyone need to adjust the
animation times?  If the default is too slow, then the default needs
to be faster.   Why would someone want to disable only one specific
type of animation?  Is it because it's annoyingly slow?  Then it needs
to be faster.  Is it because their hardware is too slow?  Then maybe
the animation is too heavy, and if we can't detect that and fix it
automatically it should never be in the default theme.  Is it because
the animation is excessively gaudy?  Again, that shouldn't be in the
default theme.
I'm not saying that there isn't a valid use case for more fine grained
control rather than on/off, but I can't think of anything, and I
haven't found any good reasoning on the topic.  Adding an option is a
serious decision.  Adding 8 needs to have some damn good reasons to
back it up.

Leo