List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: [KDE Usability] Oxygen animations configuration
From:       Hugo Pereira Da Costa <hugo () oxygen-icons ! org>
Date:       2009-11-30 23:19:52

Hi Leo,

Unfortunately I agree with all your points.

Now: the first option is the one and only you ask for. (it is "turn all
on" or "all off").

The other seven options ... I added them while adding new animations.
There is "some sort" of reasoning between them: tab transition for
instance, is the only one that can possibly trigger repaints of large
portions of the screen. All others are very local.

I won't try to motivate each of the options. I left it this way because
of lack of time and poor usability skills (lack of time being: coding
furiously, changing things often, and always postponing the moment where
I should ask usability guys for help. My bad.).

I think On/Off is too drastic (due to the limitation above): glows and
fade-in/fade-out, (the first four options) are harmless. Progressbars also.

Tabs: this can really make your system feel less responsible.

Labels: the thing is that it is quite a "sensible" animation, and might
actually still be buggy (it is hard to test all applications on the
market and people do scary things with labels).

So questions:
Could there be suggestions for something in-between the single-option,
and the current state ?
Is it too late to have this fixed for kde4.4 ?