List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: How to join the KDE Usability Team?
From:       Celeste Lyn Paul <celeste () kde ! org>
Date:       2008-12-29 19:43:33

On Monday 29 December 2008 02:06:05 pm Dotan Cohen wrote:
> 2008/12/29 Celeste Lyn Paul <celeste@kde.org>:
> > these can be the same people, but often they are separate people.
> >
> > One, as a developer who is interested in actively improving the usability
> > of their/any application by making code changes, commiting them and
> > releasing them.
> >
> > Two, as a design who is interested in (not exactly passively, but they
> > are not a first party) improving the usability of any application by
> > making recommendations of changes to developers.
>
> How about actual users of the software?
>
> I use KDE for about 12 hours a day, and I have installed KDE-based
> Linux distros (Fedora and Kubuntu) for 20-30 others over the course of
> about three years. I have heard all sorts of complaints and have filed
> tens of bugs in KDE from both my users and my own experience. While
> the Plasma, Konqueror/Dolphin, Kate, Konsole, Digikam, KDE-PIM, and
> other component's bugs are usually fixed within a few weeks to months,
> the usability bugs (enhancements and HIG violations) are almost always
> closed very quickly with a simple "that does not interest us".

I would not want to put ways users can submit usability bug reports on a
contributing page. Users submitting a usability bug is a conflict of interest.
It is hard for a user to be able to diagnose an issue as a wish for themselves
or a real design issue. Having users submit "usability" bugs instead of wishes
will reduce the importance of real usability bugs.

What *could* go there are links to surveys or other participatory methods that
users can participate in, but those are few and far between.  User feedback is
only useful when there is a purpose in mind, and when that happens, we come
find you.

--
Celeste Lyn Paul
KDE Usability Project