On Monday 29 December 2008 02:06:05 pm Dotan Cohen wrote: > 2008/12/29 Celeste Lyn Paul : > > these can be the same people, but often they are separate people. > > > > One, as a developer who is interested in actively improving the usability > > of their/any application by making code changes, commiting them and > > releasing them. > > > > Two, as a design who is interested in (not exactly passively, but they > > are not a first party) improving the usability of any application by > > making recommendations of changes to developers. > > How about actual users of the software? > > I use KDE for about 12 hours a day, and I have installed KDE-based > Linux distros (Fedora and Kubuntu) for 20-30 others over the course of > about three years. I have heard all sorts of complaints and have filed > tens of bugs in KDE from both my users and my own experience. While > the Plasma, Konqueror/Dolphin, Kate, Konsole, Digikam, KDE-PIM, and > other component's bugs are usually fixed within a few weeks to months, > the usability bugs (enhancements and HIG violations) are almost always > closed very quickly with a simple "that does not interest us". I would not want to put ways users can submit usability bug reports on a contributing page. Users submitting a usability bug is a conflict of interest. It is hard for a user to be able to diagnose an issue as a wish for themselves or a real design issue. Having users submit "usability" bugs instead of wishes will reduce the importance of real usability bugs. What *could* go there are links to surveys or other participatory methods that users can participate in, but those are few and far between. User feedback is only useful when there is a purpose in mind, and when that happens, we come find you. -- Celeste Lyn Paul KDE Usability Project usability.kde.org _______________________________________________ kde-usability mailing list kde-usability@kde.org https://mail.kde.org/mailman/listinfo/kde-usability