List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: KDE 4.2 Toolbars
From:       Mike Arthur <mike () mikearthur ! co ! uk>
Date:       2008-11-20 12:01:34

On Thursday 20 November 2008 11:42:41 Maciej Pilichowski wrote:
> Now I am puzzled, so what this feature would do? Previously you wrote
> about clicking, but you cannot do this because clicking means "do
> this", not "show help".

> Remark: I am not entirely sure that the weekend user is ready for
> learning keyboard shortcuts. I can hardly imagine someone relying
> entirely on toolbar and on the other hand eager to learn default
> shortcuts.
Sorry, I'm not explaining very well.

That plugin in Eclipse does what you have asked from the menu AND shows help
for a second or two in a large tooltip like thing that stays around for a bit.

I wasn't suggesting using this for keyboard shortcuts but instead for showing
e.g. toolbar icons. For instance, perhaps they could flash or change colour for
a few seconds after a user selects the same action from a menu.

Just an idea and a crazy one at that!

--
Cheers,
Mike Arthur