List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: icons on buttons
From:       Celeste Lyn Paul <celeste () kde ! org>
Date:       2008-01-12 17:58:49

On Saturday 12 January 2008 12:00:23 Hans Chen wrote:
> In KDE3 this options is located in "Style", under "Appearance & Themes". I
> fail to see the connection to window behavior - or maybe I've misunderstood
> the whole topic.

OK.. so it is there.  The previous poster provided the way to configure the
feature though editing a config file which is an unacceptable way of handling
it.

> Personally I like this feature. Although the argument "Windows and Mac OS X
> don't have it" isn't valid (in my opinion) this could be a reason to

That was never my argument.  Using icons on buttons is not a new idea and has
been abandoned by many designers as unnecessary in a well-designed interface.

> investigate further. For now I don't see this as a problem as you can
> disable it.

The issue isn't whether or not to remove the feature, but what should be
default.  Since there are more cons than pros to having them on there, icons
on buttons (IMPO) should be disabled by default.