List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: Some thoughts on toolbars in KDE
From:       James Richard Tyrer <tyrerj () acm ! org>
Date:       2007-11-15 21:56:04

Hans Chen wrote:
> James: So basically you want to add the "zoom in" and "zoom out" buttons
> to the new widget?
>
> Let me try to analyze this with my (non-existing) usability knowledge.
> If we consider different use cases; let's say we have a image viewer
> with this new widget in the statusbar, and four different persons:
>
> User A wants to zoom in/out until the image covers the whole page.
> User B is just playing around and zooms in/out until s/he thinks it
> looks good.
> User C wants to zoom to half the original size, original size, double
> size etc.
> User D has a predefined % s/he want to zoom, let's say 137 %.
>
> Now let's take a took at my mockup again (and imagine that the combobox
> is a normal edible combobox on hover).
>
> A: Use one of the buttons to the left (these aren't shown in my mockup)
> or the combobox.
> B: Here a set of zoom in/out buttons would be useful. If you have a
> mouse with a scroll, you can obtain the same result by scrolling the
> slider. And if you aren't pedantic you could also drag and/or click on
> the slider (the former one faster than clicking on the buttons and
> probably give better results).
> C: These "common" zoom levels are in the combobox (you can use the
> scroll/keyboard)
> D: Click in the combobox and enter a value.
>
> Personally I think the slider is superior to zoom in/out buttons. As I
> wrote above, it does the same if you have a scroll/know that you can use
> the keyboard - but you can also drag the slide to quickly find a zoom
> level you like. This would be perfect in use case B.
>
> Furthermore, I think there are enough widgets in the zoom widget - in my
> opinion it would look cluttered if we added more.
>
> If an application really need the "click to zoom in/out", I would
> suggest a zoom tool in the toolbar which changes the mouse to a
> magnifier (take a look at kpdf ( KDE3.5.x) for example) and lets you
> zoom by clicking on the image/whatever it is.

This widget is not actually necessary, but I think that for some uses it
would be more elegant.  It includes concepts which are already in use,
it just combines them in a different way.  The buttons at the ends of
the slider are *only* for precise settings -- useful for those with poor
eye hand coordination or when it is simply impossible to move the mouse
such a small amount.

--
JRT