Hans Chen wrote: > James: So basically you want to add the "zoom in" and "zoom out" buttons > to the new widget? > > Let me try to analyze this with my (non-existing) usability knowledge. > If we consider different use cases; let's say we have a image viewer > with this new widget in the statusbar, and four different persons: > > User A wants to zoom in/out until the image covers the whole page. > User B is just playing around and zooms in/out until s/he thinks it > looks good. > User C wants to zoom to half the original size, original size, double > size etc. > User D has a predefined % s/he want to zoom, let's say 137 %. > > Now let's take a took at my mockup again (and imagine that the combobox > is a normal edible combobox on hover). > > A: Use one of the buttons to the left (these aren't shown in my mockup) > or the combobox. > B: Here a set of zoom in/out buttons would be useful. If you have a > mouse with a scroll, you can obtain the same result by scrolling the > slider. And if you aren't pedantic you could also drag and/or click on > the slider (the former one faster than clicking on the buttons and > probably give better results). > C: These "common" zoom levels are in the combobox (you can use the > scroll/keyboard) > D: Click in the combobox and enter a value. > > Personally I think the slider is superior to zoom in/out buttons. As I > wrote above, it does the same if you have a scroll/know that you can use > the keyboard - but you can also drag the slide to quickly find a zoom > level you like. This would be perfect in use case B. > > Furthermore, I think there are enough widgets in the zoom widget - in my > opinion it would look cluttered if we added more. > > If an application really need the "click to zoom in/out", I would > suggest a zoom tool in the toolbar which changes the mouse to a > magnifier (take a look at kpdf ( KDE3.5.x) for example) and lets you > zoom by clicking on the image/whatever it is. This widget is not actually necessary, but I think that for some uses it would be more elegant. It includes concepts which are already in use, it just combines them in a different way. The buttons at the ends of the slider are *only* for precise settings -- useful for those with poor eye hand coordination or when it is simply impossible to move the mouse such a small amount. -- JRT _______________________________________________ kde-usability mailing list kde-usability@kde.org https://mail.kde.org/mailman/listinfo/kde-usability