List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: Some thoughts on toolbars in KDE
From:       "Hans Chen" <hanswchen () gmail ! com>
Date:       2007-10-25 8:08:17

[Attachment #2 (multipart/alternative)]

James: So basically you want to add the "zoom in" and "zoom out" buttons to
the new widget?

Let me try to analyze this with my (non-existing) usability knowledge. If we
consider different use cases; let's say we have a image viewer with this new
widget in the statusbar, and four different persons:

User A wants to zoom in/out until the image covers the whole page.
User B is just playing around and zooms in/out until s/he thinks it looks
good.
User C wants to zoom to half the original size, original size, double size
etc.
User D has a predefined % s/he want to zoom, let's say 137 %.

Now let's take a took at my mockup again (and imagine that the combobox is a
normal edible combobox on hover).

A: Use one of the buttons to the left (these aren't shown in my mockup) or
the combobox.
B: Here a set of zoom in/out buttons would be useful. If you have a mouse
with a scroll, you can obtain the same result by scrolling the slider. And
if you aren't pedantic you could also drag and/or click on the slider (the
former one faster than clicking on the buttons and probably give better
results).
C: These "common" zoom levels are in the combobox (you can use the
scroll/keyboard)
D: Click in the combobox and enter a value.

Personally I think the slider is superior to zoom in/out buttons. As I wrote
above, it does the same if you have a scroll/know that you can use the
keyboard - but you can also drag the slide to quickly find a zoom level you
like. This would be perfect in use case B.

Furthermore, I think there are enough widgets in the zoom widget - in my
opinion it would look cluttered if we added more.

If an application really need the "click to zoom in/out", I would suggest a
zoom tool in the toolbar which changes the mouse to a magnifier (take a look
at kpdf (KDE3.5.x) for example) and lets you zoom by clicking on the
image/whatever it is.

With best regards,
Hans Chen