List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: Some thoughts on toolbars in KDE
From:       "Hans Chen" <hanswchen () gmail ! com>
Date:       2007-10-10 19:07:46

[Attachment #2 (multipart/alternative)]

On 10/10/07, Matthew Woehlke <mw_triad@users.sourceforge.net> wrote:

> Why not just use a normal combo box instead of inventing something new?
> (Especially as "consistency" is one of the rules of UI design...)

I think it looks "cleaner" with this kind of widget; a normal combobox would
look pretty bad with certain styles in the statusbar, I believe.

On 10/10/07, Celeste Lyn Paul <celeste@kde.org> wrote:

> Actually, the old one is worse than your new design, so I would say it is
> progress :)  MW makes a point about using the old combo box, so maybe work
> with that?

Hehe thanks.

To me, the arrow (next to the value; in my mockup it's a black triangle)
indicates that it is something I can click (to show a list of something).
When I hover the mouse over the arrow, the widget changes to a combobox
(Under "Hover" in mockup), and I know I can click the text to edit it.

But that's how I think, and I'm rather used to such widgets.

> I think the goal here is to dress up the value in a way which
> makes it look clickable or editable.  Maybe add a border, change the
> background, or add a mouse-over change (to the entire widget, not just the
> text area) to imply this.

Is there currently no unify way of doing this in KDE? And what do you mean
with "the entire widget" - do you count the slider as well?