List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: Some thoughts on toolbars in KDE
From:       Celeste Lyn Paul <celeste () kde ! org>
Date:       2007-10-10 18:39:17

On Wednesday 10 October 2007 13:37:47 Hans Chen wrote:
> On 10/10/07, Celeste Lyn Paul <celeste@kde.org> wrote:
> > I don't know if the combo box design will work.. there is no affordance
>
> that
>
> > suggests you can edit the value.  How will a user know to click the text
>
> area
>
> > to activate the combo box and add a new value?
>
> Good point. However, doesn't that apply to the "current" widget too?
> (Screenshots Jos posted earlier)
> Normal: http://img230.imageshack.us/img230/7199/image1rn6.png
> After right click: http://img126.imageshack.us/img126/4189/image2er0.png

(like I said, I'm late in to the conversation)

Actually, the old one is worse than your new design, so I would say it is
progress :)  MW makes a point about using the old combo box, so maybe work
with that?  I think the goal here is to dress up the value in a way which
makes it look clickable or editable.  Maybe add a border, change the
background, or add a mouse-over change (to the entire widget, not just the
text area) to imply this.

--
Celeste Lyn Paul
KDE Usability Project