List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: Dolphin: split views
From:       James Richard Tyrer <tyrerj () acm ! org>
Date:       2007-08-16 1:43:11

Peter Penz wrote:
> Hello!
>
> Dolphin offers to split the current view by pressing the "Split" button in the
> toolbar (see http://enzosworld.gmxhome.de/temp/dolphin1.png). Afterwards the
> view is split and the button toggles to a "Join" button (see
> http://enzosworld.gmxhome.de/temp/dolphin2.png).
>
> I think/hope it is obvious if the button "Join" is pressed now, that the right
> inactive view gets closed.
>
> Now my main question: when a mouse click into the right view is done, this
> view gets active which results in
> http://enzosworld.gmxhome.de/temp/dolphin3.png. What is the expected behavior
> when pressing the "Join" button in this case?
>
> Currently I see the following possibilities (but maybe I miss alternative
> ones):
>
> Solution A:
> The "Join"-button indicates that always the right view gets closed, hence this
> view should get closed and the left view gets active again. This is the
> current behavior in Dolphin for KDE 4. As a side note: it's possible to flip
> both views by the context menu.
>
> Solution B:
> Always the inactive view gets closed. This is the behavior in Dolphin for KDE
> 3. Problem: the icon in this case is wrong. Would it be a possible solution
> to have 2 versions of the "Join" icon, which changes dynamically if the
> active view gets changed?
>
>>From my gut feeling I would go for solution B, which means that we would need
> a second version of the "Join" icon. Any objections or suggestions?

In Konqueror, the button: "Close Active View" does what it says, which
is the exact opposite of your suggestion B.  One theory is that stuff
should all act the same as much as possible.  However, this doesn't seem
to be a good solution here.

I don't see "Join" as a good name in US English.  If it closes
something, I would call it "Close <something>".

It probably doesn't make a lot of difference how you do this as long as
the tooltip clearly states what will happen.

I would go with 'B' with the inactive view being closed.  Konqueror
closes the active view because it is the only way that it can work even
though this is counter intuitive.

--
JRT