List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: Designing improved character selector
From:       Daniel Laidig <d.laidig () gmx ! de>
Date:       2007-03-02 16:42:33

Hello,

On Wednesday 28 February 2007 23:55, Hans Chen wrote:
> - Why the columns (1, 2, 3 etc.)? To me they just seem to take up space /
> make it cluttered.

I think you mean the headers of the table widget. These are just there because
I didn't find any way to hide them in  Qt designer. The whole table is just a
placeholder I needed for creating the mockup.

> I don't know how the characters are sorted. But I think it's very important
> to have it in a userfriendly way. If I search for the symbol "beta", it's
> not sure I know I should look under "Greek". AAnd where do I find
> "plus-minus"? I think a good way would be categories/"tags" like "Math
> expressions" or something like that. Maybe also show most
> recently/frequently used?

Characters in Unicode are sorted in different blocks and scripts. For example,
all latin characters can be found in the script "Latin".

+- should be in the block "Mathematical Operators", however for compatibility
reasons it is in "Latin-1 Supplement". This is really a problem. The only way
to find it in reasonable time would be to search for "plus minus".

I think it's a good idea to create some special groups of characters to
provide access to frequently used characters. For example "Mathematics"
or "French characters" would really be useful.

These could be hardcoded or user defined. I think the latter could be
overkill.

Daniel