List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: Designing improved character selector
From:       Daniel Laidig <d.laidig () gmx ! de>
Date:       2007-03-02 16:42:29

Hello,

On Wednesday 28 February 2007 23:13, Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> could the toolbox on the left be replaced with a lineedit for search and a
> popupmenu/combobox for the language/block that would appear above the tabs?

I would love to get rid of the toolbox, but I don't know how to realize the
combobox. There are 126 blocks and 54 scripts. I doubt that this will be
usable.

Do you want to have one combobox for both the scripts and the blocks or
combine them? If there are separate widgets it wouldn't be clear any more if
a script or a block is shown.

> "search in character details" would be implied by which tab is selected;

I don't know how this would be implied by the selected tab. With this option I
mean to allow "find every character that has 'math' in the details". Without,
just the names would be searched. This shouldn't have anything to do with the
selected tab.

> and perhaps all searches could be substring search, with all matching
> characters being shown in the character table.

I think the option to match whole words is needed, for example I want to get
every "A" character. Doing a substring search would return all "lAtin"
characters, but I'm looking for "U+00C0 LATIN CAPITAL LETTER A WITH GRAVE".

It would be really great to get rid of the toolbox but at the moment I don't
see how your ideas could work. :(

Daniel