List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: Designing improved character selector
From:       "Aaron J. Seigo" <aseigo () kde ! org>
Date:       2007-03-02 20:05:58

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On March 2, 2007, Daniel Laidig wrote:
> Hello,
>
> On Wednesday 28 February 2007 23:13, Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> > could the toolbox on the left be replaced with a lineedit for search and
> > a popupmenu/combobox for the language/block that would appear above the
> > tabs?
>
> I would love to get rid of the toolbox, but I don't know how to realize the
> combobox. There are 126 blocks and 54 scripts. I doubt that this will be
> usable.

wait; a script can contain 1 or more blocks, with non-script-specific blocks
(e.g. notational symbols) being essentially presentable as "scripts" as well,
correct?

so... how about this:

Font: [             ]  Script: [                   ] Block: [                ]

with the block combo showing the blocks associated with the given script, as
listed here:

	http://unicode.org/charts/

there is no need, as far as i can see, to show all the blocks in the combo.

it would be faster to use as you wouldn't be swapping between toolboxes and
the tab area and would keep things compact and nearer what they
control/modify.

> Do you want to have one combobox for both the scripts and the blocks or
> combine them? If there are separate widgets it wouldn't be clear any more
> if a script or a block is shown.

> > "search in character details" would be implied by which tab is selected;
>
> I don't know how this would be implied by the selected tab. With this
> option I mean to allow "find every character that has 'math' in the
> details". Without, just the names would be searched. This shouldn't have
> anything to do with the selected tab.

it would be searching through what is visible (ergo the selected tab). with
the search bar above the tabs (if they remain) then that becomes fairly
evident/obvious as it's a "what i see is what is acted upon"

> > and perhaps all searches could be substring search, with all matching
> > characters being shown in the character table.
>
> I think the option to match whole words is needed, for example I want to
> get every "A" character. Doing a substring search would return all "lAtin"
> characters, but I'm looking for "U+00C0 LATIN CAPITAL LETTER A WITH GRAVE".

then go the other way around and only match whole words?

--
Aaron J. Seigo
humru othro a kohnu se