List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: Designing improved character selector
From:       Daniel Laidig <d.laidig () gmx ! de>
Date:       2007-03-02 16:42:04

Hello,

Thanks to all of you for your replies. :)

On Thursday 01 March 2007 03:52, Parker Coates wrote:
> Firstly, I have to agree with Hans about the tabs. They clutter the
> interface and interupt work flow. "Character Details" would be better
> served by being placed in an optional pane on the right hand side.

I have removed the tabs (I also don't like them) and added the detail viewer
as a third item in the splitter on the right. I've also added a button to
hide/view the details. You can also drag the splitter to zero but I haven't
discovered this feature for years. An extra button would make this more
obvious.

I like this better than the tabs.
http://img508.imageshack.us/img508/2166/kcharselectmockup4wa0.png

> When being run as its own application, there's no shortage of space,
> so showing a details pane by default probably makes sense. (This would
> also remove the need for the status bar-like thing below character
> table.) If used as a widget in another application, hide the details
> pane and stick the most relevant information into a really big
> tooltip.

This would be possible using the splitter approach.

> Displaying the "Alt + ####" shortcuts is also extremely handy, where
> available.

On my system I don't think that any "Alt + ####" shortcuts are available.

> Drag and drop would increase efficiency a zillion-fold.

Which kind of drag and drop do you mean exactly? That you can drag a character
from the table and drop it to anything that accepts text? Or do you have any
ideas going furher?

> I'm not sure about the toolbox widget. While it technically seems like
> an efficient way to display a bunch of widgets in a small space, I was
> find them awkward to use in practice. Perhaps you would be better
> served by an Amarok/KDevelop/Kaffeine style vertical tab bar (but
> those have their own usability worries).

I don't know if a vertical tab bar is better suited for this task (I also
prefer them). Is this widget available in kdelibs? Each app seems to have
their own implementation.

> I understand Aaron's point about getting rid of the left side widgets
> altogether to minimise the screen footprint, but I feel that would
> make the application version feel crowded. What's good for the
> application isn't necessarily what's good for the widget and vice
> versa.

The problem is that it is difficult to replace these widgets with something
smaller. But having three elements in a splitter (toolbox, table, details)
also looks weird. So it would be cool to have a good way to get rid of the
left side widgets.

> For example, someone running KCharSelect (the app) is much more likely
> to browse around. In such a case having a list of scripts/blocks makes
> it much easier to know where you are/where you've been. Someone using
> it as an embedded widget would likely already know what character they
> want and roughly where to find it. In such a case a combobox of
> scripts/groups would be just as fast and the user would likely benefit
> from the savings in screen space. But of course the bigger the
> differences between the app and the widget the more work for the
> author/maintainer.

I don't think that the difference between the app the widget is that big. Not
every application has the character selector embedded and the app will be
mostly launched to find some character. But also for this usage, the details
can be helpful, e.g. if they include notes on how to use the characters.

I agree that the details could be hidden by default in the widget (but can be
displayed by pressing a button), but I don't think that differences should go
further.

Daniel