List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: Localised folders in /home/user (Documents and > Desktop)
From:       Maciej Pilichowski <macias () mat ! uni ! torun ! pl>
Date:       2006-11-28 10:45:05

Hello,

> > It is good thing to realize what _really_ normal user has to know
> > to write a document or browse a web page. And remove all
> > obstacles for her/him.

> We are not building a system for total morons. A "Normal" user can
> easily learn that when I plug in my USB stick an icon appears on
> the desktop and that the files can be accessed by clicking the
> icon. This same user might not care that the URL says /media/MyUSB
> but it does not hinder him/her. If KDE only would show MyUSB in the
> URL and a non-KDE application would show /media/MyUSB, that would
> be really confusing. "Am I editing the same document?"
>
> I agree, I don't see any real problem with the current system. Most
> "normal users" don't even look at the location bar, so I don't even
> see why it's an issue.

> Exactly, if a user goes somewhere unfamiliar, they can always use
> the back button.

ad.morons) FYI: there handicapped people, vision impaired,
older-than-you-or-me, etc.
They have various disabilities. You can call them morons, or idiots,
if you like,
but is a question of KDE attitude. Is KDE for young&healthy people or
for wider
range? If the second -- open any app + file browser and count how many
info is
displayed, how many widgets, etc. How possible it could be
user-friendly, for people
with limited abilities to read fast?
If the first "young&healthy" -- of course there is no need for
improvement.

ad.non-KDE) it is kde-usability, blame non-user-friendly apps, not
KDE. Since it
doesn't break compability with existing non-KDE apps, I see no
problem.

ad.look&see) people are "attacked" by amount of information. I will
say it is a good design
to display the needed information not everything it is possible to
display at once. I hear
the questions "what's this" all the time, and I have to answer "ignore
it". So maybe it is better
to hide all those "ignore it" stuff.

ad.back button) you didn't consider "panic factor"

ad.back button) what is better -- just allow user to go somewhere
uncomfortable
place and then give him ability to return or to mark "dangerous"
points. I think
it is common sense it is better to create by design only explicit path
for
poweruser -- look around you how it is difficult to get hurt in real
life (consider
even power plug) and I opt to implement such design in KDE -- implicit
safety,
full-features-on-demand

have a nice day
bye