List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: Localised folders in /home/user (Documents and > Desktop)
From:       Kåre_Särs <kare.sars () kolumbus ! fi>
Date:       2006-11-28 11:31:36

> ad.morons) FYI: there handicapped people, vision impaired,
> older-than-you-or-me, etc.
> They have various disabilities. You can call them morons, or idiots,
> if you like,
> but is a question of KDE attitude. Is KDE for young&healthy people or
> for wider
> range? If the second -- open any app + file browser and count how many
> info is
> displayed, how many widgets, etc. How possible it could be
> user-friendly, for people
> with limited abilities to read fast?
> If the first "young&healthy" -- of course there is no need for
> improvement.

I'm sorry if I sounded rude.
What I wanted to say was that you do need to show the information of what
directory you are in in the file browser. You could show only "MyUSB/..." and
restrict the browser to not be able to leave the USB filesystem. Or you can
inform the user that the files are actually accessable
from "/media/MyUSB/..." and not restrict the browser to the USB filesystem.
Why is this information too much?

> ad.non-KDE) it is kde-usability, blame non-user-friendly apps, not
> KDE. Since it
> doesn't break compability with existing non-KDE apps, I see no
> problem.

Most users need non-KDE application too. If we break interoperability it is a
problem. Interoperability is broken if non-KDE apps can't open a file on the
USB stick.

> ad.look&see) people are "attacked" by amount of information. I will
> say it is a good design
> to display the needed information not everything it is possible to
> display at once. I hear
> the questions "what's this" all the time, and I have to answer "ignore
> it". So maybe it is better
> to hide all those "ignore it" stuff.

Again you need the information of what directory you are in, but it is true
that the left panel that is by default visible in Konqueror file browser is
full of extra features the normal user doesn't ever use. That in my opinion
is too much widgets and information.

> ad.back button) you didn't consider "panic factor"
>
> ad.back button) what is better -- just allow user to go somewhere
> uncomfortable
> place and then give him ability to return or to mark "dangerous"
> points. I think

What is dangerous? Why the panic? If you are not in your own directories you
shouldn't be able mess anything up.