List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: Localised folders in /home/user (Documents and > Desktop)
From:       Maciej Pilichowski <macias () mat ! uni ! torun ! pl>
Date:       2006-11-25 16:25:32

Hello,

> > It's all about avoididing, and replacing concepts that relates to
> > computers with things that relate to real world things, that more
> > easily can be grasped by computer illiterate persons.
>
> KDE is full of links to these places. I don't see why a normal user
> would care whether they're implemented as a seperate device or
> mounted onto the filesystem.

Normal -- not computer-geek? She/he does not care, that's the point.

> Going up a level is exactly the same
> as a user going up a level in Windows and ending up in My Computer.

Nobody proved it is a good thing. Of course going up and down is ok
(for "normal" user) as long as she/he is going within undertandable
context. If she/he went so up that she/he ended in "my computer" it
is similar to wake up in alice wonderland -- "where am I?". It is
really confusing.

There should be let's name it "end-points" -- if normal user works
within "Documents" (one of end-points) voila, do what you want, but
don't go to /home/user or /home or even worse / -- because once the
user saw all those creatures like /dev/, /tmp/, /root she/he will
panic and call it an error.

For powerusers -- go where you want, no end-points, no limits.

End-points (in my opinion) -- Documents, Home, all media devices but
for each device (probably missed something).

It is good thing to realize what _really_ normal user has to know to
write a document or browse a web page. And remove all obstacles for
her/him. That's a task for designers -- problem solved from the
beginning, not by each end-user. Knowledge of Unix filesystem is not
necessary to do all common tasks -- so better to hide it.

have a nice day
bye