List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Konqueror again
From:       Daniel Ehn <dehn.lists () gmail ! com>
Date:       2006-11-25 11:24:10

Hi!

Seems like the previous post wasn't posted to the list. So before reading
this, read the post and grab the attachment from here:
http://lists.kde.org/?l=kde-usability&m=116328247108412&w=2

Below are the actual problems from the Konqueror usability report I've looked
into plus the arguments I had for my decisions.

2.2.3 Preferred Views and Icon Sizes
Problems:
- Hard to find where the zoom/view functions are
Solutions:
- Distinguish them from other actions that are not similar to them
- Make it clearer to which element in the window they act on

First, view mode and zoom level are similar actions (they are controlling the
appearance in a folder). So they should be grouped together. But they do not,
in some sense, belong to other actions that act on a particular selected
file. So to remove them from the toolbar seems like a good thing. And as
always, controls should be placed under the corresponding information. That
means below the folder content area. Also to better group view/zoom actions
together with the content area they should be aligned. More if there is a
toolbar for a special type of folder, like in the archive tab, it is also
placed directly under the content, but not in the same row as the view/zoom
buttons.

2.2.4 Embedded Previews
Problems:
- Unable to find next/previous buttons (picture preview) in the toolbar
- Can not go through a list of songs (sound preview)
- Preview modes do not change automatically, as shown in the picture on page
28
Solutions:
- Make the preview "fullscreen"
- Provide a way to navigate through similar files when in preview mode

Again, place the actions (next/previous/rotate/...) below and aligned with the
displayed file. In that way grouping them together.

Another problem I see with the current design is that when you are previewing
something, the left tree view does not correspond to the contents displayed
because it shows the current folders, not the current files. Also the problem
from page 28 is due to the fact that they do not correspond. This is why I
decided to propose a "fullscreen" display of the file. Now the left view can
change to display a list of files or any other browsable representation of
the files like in the picture tab.

But a problem with this approach is: How do you get back to the folder you
came from? Obviously you can click/change the location in the location bar.
The previous button to the right of the location bar doesn't do the job as it
will only go back in the history. One can use the usual "Up" button. But my
suggestion is to use a additional button to the left of the previous button
with some sort of "different left arrow" icon.

2.2.10 Sending an Image per Email
I will only consider the case where the user is browsing in a folder. Because
from the image preview window there is an obvious way to send the email, by
pressing the email button. So my idea is to always give the user a way to
view its contacts, namely by pressing the "contacts" button down at the
bottom left (and in this way adding a contacts list along with the other
lists, see trash tab), and then drag'n drop files to a contact.

Problems:
- Hard to locate
- Too complicated to use
Solutions:
- Include the standard search field (from the internet profile) to also work
in folders, and possibly specific file types too.

A problem with this solution is that the search field is always visible, and
it's not equally important to be able to search in every situation.

/Daniel