List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: Localised folders in /home/user (Documents and Desktop)
From:       Uno Engborg <uno () webworks ! se>
Date:       2006-11-24 22:20:38

ons 2006-11-22 klockan 10:47 +0200 skrev Kåre Särs:
> > I think Edgy has gone a little overboard by hiding most of the root
> > directory. I think that ~/Desktop should be hidden by default, but the use
> > of .hidden files should be used sparingly.
>
> What do we gain by hiding the ~/Desktop directory?.

First of all, if the users sees the same files in two places (in an open
folder and on the Desktop) , he might come to the conclusion that they
are duplicates, and try to delete them to save space. The problem gets
even bigger if the name is not translated.

Second, it sort of becomes a mix of methapores, most people will not
think of their physical desktop as a folder. They will have to  somehow
learn to make that connection when working with  KDE.

<rantmode>

Most of the discussion if users should se folders like the Desktop or
even folders like /etc, /proc, /dev,... and other UNIX related things,
boils down to the question: Should we create a good userinterface to
Unix, or should we create a good user interface for people.

Then again, the question if it is going to be a good user interface or
not,  depends on who we expect to use it. There is nothing wrong in
developing interfaces for wannabe sysadmins, developers, and unix
nostalgics, you will get fewer but probably very greatful users. What's
wrong is to develop it unintentionally just to  be true to Unix.

To non geeks, Unix is irrelevant, they just want to get their work done.
If we want to reach them, we need to use a language  and a terminology
they are familliar with. E.g. they probably refer to their co workers
by full name rather than login. They probably think of an USB stick as
a separate unit that can be removed an put in their pocket not
as /dev/sda1. Apple have done a good job in this field, there is nothing
that prevents KDE from following a similar road.

</rantmode>

Regards
Uno Engborg