List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: Localised folders in /home/user (Documents and Desktop)
From:       Sven Burmeister <sven.burmeister () gmx ! net>
Date:       2006-11-23 13:15:02

Hi!

Am Donnerstag, 23. November 2006 11:44 schrieb Kevin Krammer:
> Or that a user who manages their own document partion would not be able to
> choose the desktop folder as the mount point or symlink the directory.

I guess that's right. But do not make the path too
long /home/username/.kde/share/apps/kdesktop ist just too long. ;)

> But nevertheless you can try to propose a respective specification on the
> xdg mailinglist on freedesktop.org. Keep in mind that shared configuration
> is supposed to be stored under $XDG_CONFIG_HOME (defaulting to
> $HOME/.config)

Ok, thanks for the hint. I'll try it.

> What's your upgrade path scenario?
> Users restoring (or admins for them) their home directories on a new system
> and, fortunately for them, KDE is now distributed with a matching
> localisation for them.
>
> What will KDE do on startup?
> Scan all possible variants of the two paths and rename them to the current
> localisation?
> Let it stay in the old localisation?
> Deny using the new localistation?
> Just create the directories again and let the user deal with migrating from
> the old locations?

If one restores the whole ~ directory, there is no problem, since the language
used, is the same.  Since .kde (.config) would already exist, KDE would not
do a "first start-up" but use the configs found in ~.

I guess you mean that .kde and .config are not restored, but only non-hidden
files and folders? In that case the hidden desktop-dir would be gone. But
indeed there might be the case that e.g. a French speaking person has its ~
restored and was using French as GUI language in KDE when the backup was
made, yet now the system is set to English as local language.

Hence, KDE would start-up with an English GUI and since
no .config/pathtodocuments is found, create "Documents" and "Desktop" in
English. Because of the backup, there are now two Documents in ~, one in
French and one in English. If the user switches language back to French, KDE
finds the French Documents and simply uses it. It only has to test whether a
localised folder for the new language exists in ~. If the user stays with
English, he can either change the path, or move the files. Since .kde was not
backed up anyway, no apps will have any problems, since there is no config
for them that could point to a non-existent folder.

Yet how many people use a French GUI, backup their ~ without the configs and
then restore it on a new system with English as GUI language and stick to it,
i.e. do not change the GUI-language after the first start?

Sven