List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: Localised folders in /home/user (Documents and Desktop)
From:       David Roberts <dvdr18 () gmail ! com>
Date:       2006-11-25 0:08:12

> Most of the discussion if users should se folders like the Desktop or
> even folders like /etc, /proc, /dev,... and other UNIX related things,
> boils down to the question: Should we create a good userinterface to
> Unix, or should we create a good user interface for people.
I agree that KDE should be as easy as possible to use, but not to simplify it
so much that it makes life hard for the powerusers. I really down't want KDE
going down the same path as Windows where everything has been chronically
dumbed-down. As for hiding elements of the root filesystem, I don't see why
this is needed as regular users wouldn't be visiting that directory very
often anyway.

> First of all, if the users sees the same files in two places (in an open
> folder and on the Desktop) , he might come to the conclusion that they
> are duplicates, and try to delete them to save space. The problem gets
> even bigger if the name is not translated.
>
> Second, it sort of becomes a mix of methapores, most people will not
> think of their physical desktop as a folder.
Exactly, I don't see why it has to be visible on both the desktop (which is
basically a file manager itself at the moment) and the home folder.

--
David Roberts :)
http://kavenc.sf.net/