List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: Printers and Scanners module for KDE4
From:       David Roberts <dvdr18 () gmail ! com>
Date:       2006-11-08 8:47:10

> The problem would be that the device would be shown int the "printers &
> sc....." module, but doesn't show up in the print dialog of the
> application.

I'm assuming the user has enough sense to realise they can't print to a
scanner (assuming multipurpose devices are name "modelX Scanner" and "modelX
Printer")

> Do we even need a module for scanners? What would it be used for? Setting
> dpi, color/grayscale/.. must be set by the scanning application anyway.

I haven't been able find any drivers for my scanner, so  probably don't know
too much about usage. All I'm saying is that it sounds like a good idea
because they are _relatively_ similar.

> >- kprinter - a little off topic, but why doesn't kprinter have a "print in
> >greyscale" option?
>
> Depending on the capabilities of the printer, that option can be found when
> pressing the "Properties" button in the print dialog. (or did you mean
> setting the global default value?)

I mean having a checkbox on the main dialog which would convert the document
to greyscale before printing (or however CUPS handles this sort of thing).

--
David Roberts
http://kavenc.sf.net/