List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: Printers and Scanners module for KDE4
From:       Kåre_Särs <kare.sars () kolumbus ! fi>
Date:       2006-11-08 8:37:56

> Printers and scanners are complimentary. They are both used to transfer
> printed media to and from the system. If they weren't similar at all, then
> multipurpose devices would never have been invented.
One is used for importing the other for exporting. I think that is enough to
put them in separate modules.

> > They do have parameters as dpi and color/grayscale, but they do not have
> > the same interfaces. Printers use cups/lprng/.. and scanners use sane.
>
> I realise that they use different interfaces, but the common user doesn't
> really care about implementation.
True.

> > The addition of scanners would make the module more complex and could
> > confuse users.
>
> I don't see how, as long it's made obvious which are scanners and which are
> printers. If you really feel it would be too complex, then perhaps there
> could be two seperate tabs/frames.
or modules? :)

> > If only the scanner part of a multipurpose device is configured, the
> > user might wonder why he/she cant print to "modelX" that does show up.
> > (There  might be situations where only one part of a multipurpose device
> > is supported)
>
> True, but I don't see how that would be any different from if they were
> configured in seperate modules. I think that having seperate modules would
> be even more confusing for the user in this case seeing as though they are
> the same device. Perhaps there could be some sort of message alerting the
> user that one part of the device is unable to be used.

The problem would be that the device would be shown int the "printers &
sc....." module, but doesn't show up in the print dialog of the application.

Do we even need a module for scanners? What would it be used for? Setting dpi,
color/grayscale/.. must be set by the scanning application anyway.

/Kåre

PS.
>- kprinter - a little off topic, but why doesn't kprinter have a "print in
>greyscale" option?
Depending on the capabilities of the printer, that option can be found when
pressing the "Properties" button in the print dialog. (or did you mean
setting the global default value?)