List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: Printers and Scanners module for KDE4
From:       David Roberts <dvdr18 () gmail ! com>
Date:       2006-11-08 7:45:45

> What is similar?
Printers and scanners are complimentary. They are both used to transfer
printed media to and from the system. If they weren't similar at all, then
multipurpose devices would never have been invented.

> They do have parameters as dpi and color/grayscale, but they do not have
> the same interfaces. Printers use cups/lprng/.. and scanners use sane.
I realise that they use different interfaces, but the common user doesn't
really care about implementation.

> The addition of scanners would make the module more complex and could
> confuse users.
I don't see how, as long it's made obvious which are scanners and which are
printers. If you really feel it would be too complex, then perhaps there
could be two seperate tabs/frames.

> If only the scanner part of a multipurpose device is configured, the
> user might wonder why he/she cant print to "modelX" that does show up.
> (There  might be situations where only one part of a multipurpose device is
> supported)
True, but I don't see how that would be any different from if they were
configured in seperate modules. I think that having seperate modules would be
even more confusing for the user in this case seeing as though they are the
same device. Perhaps there could be some sort of message alerting the user
that one part of the device is unable to be used.

--
David Roberts
http://kavenc.sf.net/