List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: "Home" name confusing
From:       James Richard Tyrer <tyrerj () acm ! org>
Date:       2006-10-17 2:11:21

Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> On Saturday 14 October 2006 5:19, James Richard Tyrer wrote:
>> The current default: Documents == $HOME is not really defensible as
>> a default.
>
> this is your opinion,

To call my position an opinion really misstates the case.

> one that several others disagree with and for which we have offered
> our reasons for that disagreement.

They may have simply presented their opinions, but I haven't seen a
position that presents an argument that dumping a user's private data
files in $HOME is better than having them in a directory tree rooted in
the Documents subdirectory (whatever it is actually called).

The arguments I have seen are all weak arguments stating that the
current default of setting the Documents path to $HOME isn't really as
bad as I say it is.  There might be some truth to these statements, but
this doesn't mean that it is a good way to do it or that it is the best
way to do it.  I have seen no position indicating this.

--
JRT