List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: "Home" name confusing
From:       James Richard Tyrer <tyrerj () acm ! org>
Date:       2006-10-17 2:05:51

Parker Coates wrote:
> On 10/14/06, Aaron J. Seigo <aseigo@kde.org> wrote:
>> this is your opinion, one that several others disagree with and for
>>  which we have offered our reasons for that disagreement.
>
> Here! Here!
>
> The fact of the matter is that KDE is just implementing the
> traditional Unix "home" system, which (to my knowledge) is still used
>  on all modern *nixes.

Misunderstanding the issue doesn't help.  $HOME is the root directory of
a users private file space.  There is no reason to dump everything in
the $HOME directory, and nobody has offered one.  The question here is
what is better.  The weak arguments that dumping a user's data files in
$HOME isn't really that bad are basically irrelevant.

> If anyone should be revolutionising the home directory structure, it
> should be the distributions.

This would really be bad.  If distros do it, they will all be different
-- more fragmentation.

> KDE's only duty is to be flexible enough to support whatever crazy
> new schemes distributions might come up with.

Well if we are to be flexible, we first need to fix the bugs in the use
of the Documents directory.  I have no objection to starting there.

> JRT, I think you're barking up the wrong tree. Write up a nice,
> formal proposal for your Documents Directory idea and take it to your
>  distribution of choice.

First, you do realize that KDE ALREADY has a provision for setting the
Documents directory, don't you.

IAC, my distro of choice is LFS so basically I am not concerned with
distros, I am concerned with KDE.

--
JRT