List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Bug versus mailinglist (was Re: de-jargonize the Audio Disc popup)
From:       Jonathan Marten <jjm () keelhaul ! demon ! co ! uk>
Date:       2006-08-10 10:45:15

Thomas Zander <zander@kde.org> writes:
> On Thursday 10 August 2006 02:36, Mark Stosberg wrote:
>> It's nice to have a popup asking me what to do when an Audio is
>> inserted. I see this in KDE 3.5.
>
> Please report bugreports on bugs.kde.org instead of on this list. This is
> off topic and your issue will just be ignored in the wrong place.

Just a general comment regarding the appropriate forum for disussions
such as the referenced message.  Surely for any "suggestion" or "wish"
item, where the idea is reasonable but may well have minor details to
resolve, should not the mailing list be the place for it?

A short while ago I raised a bug (#130069) concerning what seemed to
me to be a usability issue in KMail - an over-complicated configuration
dialogue and a suggestion to move some of the settings to new
dialogues.  That bug was almost immediately closed WONTFIX with a
comment to the effect of "we won't act on this without evidence, so
please discuss on the kde-usability list".

Now I'm happy to discuss suggestions and issues in whatever channel is
considered appropriate - formal bug report, mailing list or any other
means.  But having someone say "not appropriate for a bug report,
discuss on mailing list" while another says "raise a bug report, don't
send to the list" leads to an obvious circularity...

--
Jonathan Marten                         http://www.keelhaul.demon.co.uk
Twickenham, UK                          jjm@keelhaul.demon.co.uk