List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: kde4 proposal: user expertise
From:       Olivier Goffart <ogoffart () tiscalinet ! be>
Date:       2005-10-19 22:20:53

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

Le Mercredi 19 Octobre 2005 11:25, Lasse Liehu a écrit :

> Difference with Cleaned Up and Beginner is that Cleaned Up contains options
> that most people use and so on. It can contain some options that beginners
> don't use, but other people (average user, who have a little more expertise
> than a beginner) use.
>
> I think the default should be Cleaned Up, but you can switch that if you
> want.
>
> Though I think that this like user expertise levels aren't very good thing
> if there is some other way to clean up UI to UI that everyone can use
> powerly, without user expertise levels.

My suggestion is just to change the *defaults* according to the profile,  not
hide or show more option.

example: simple click vs double click:   simple click seems better,  but
windows user are used to double click.

another example: beginner are confused when taskbar entry of windows of others
desktop are hidden,  but the experimented users like it.

one could ask our experimented user to send some config file that a script
could parse so see what config expreimented user usually uses.  I ask that
because i often have lot of things to change on a new KDE before it becomes
usable for me.

Also, windows users are usually really used to some bad MS Windows default
options and a default profile for thoses could be nice.