List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: kde4 proposal: user expertise
From:       Gustavo Sverzut Barbieri <gustavo () gsbarbieri ! sytes ! net>
Date:       2005-10-19 15:43:24

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Tuesday 18 October 2005 19:12, Peppe wrote:
> I think that KDE4, during the first time wizard, should ask
> the user about his skills (beginners / advanced user). This
> has to reflect into user interface: in fact applications
> developers would have to hide some menus /
> settings /buttons etc to reflect this change.
>
> e.g.
> KMail
> Beginner
> Toolbar: New message, check mail, reply, forward, trash
> Menus: some other action like find and setting, but nothing
> more.

> All the options.
>
> This way KDE can have all the usability of gnome, the clean
> interface of win, and the power of KDE.
>
> Also, I think menus shall be customizable, like msword etc.
>

> I hope I didn't say something that someone else said.
>
> Also, I apologize for my bad english,

As many already replied to your mail, this topic was debated over and over
again, no consensus...

My vote is to make frequently used options fast to access ("handy"), this is
something like a "cache" in programming.
   And we can measure the frequently used options, just someone needs to hack
the config system and put a counter on every option, user changes it and it
increases... then have it to be turned on while betas and have users to
submit feedback after a week or so of usage, maybe with a screen that pops up
after 7 days of _use_.
   Frequently changed options will now be clear, then you prepare a way to
fast access it, maybe using a first time wizard, maybe with a front page at
Kcontrol, ...

KDE Developers: is this "measurement" code hard to implement?

--
Gustavo Sverzut Barbieri