List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: kde-usability Digest, Vol 31, Issue 8
From:       Martijn Klingens <klingens () kde ! org>
Date:       2005-10-19 13:20:08

On Wednesday 19 October 2005 15:06, fourhead wrote:
> Well when this debate comes up so often, then it's obviously a very popular
> and much-wanted feature,

It's much-wanted amongst developers who have little or no experience with
usability testing. Those developers are themselves however power-users, which
massively skews the statistic.

It's definitely not much-wanted amongst the "beginner" users, but as those
very users aren't generally on this list they won't speak up against it.

> The "experienced user level" could have all the functions KDE
> provides. If the beginer user becomes more experienced, he can always
> enable the more powerful or geeky features that he needs, and the
> experienced user will have them on anyway.

Read the mail archives why this won't work. Hint: people overestimate their
skills, people might be experts in a small area of an application and
absolute nitwits elsewhere and people are definitely not experts in all apps
at the same time.

> When I complain about the often so cluttered and much too crowded toolbars
> in KDE, I often hear that "beginers" who don't need all those function
> could always remove the uneeded functions.

If they are cluttered, they are also cluttered for experienced users. The key
to usability is presenting information such that everyone can easily find
his/her way around. It does not necessarily mean removing stuff as some
people tend to think and it certainly doesn't mean user levels.

--
Martijn