List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: kde4 proposal: user expertise
From:       Harijs Buss <hbush () apollo ! lv>
Date:       2005-10-19 16:46:17

On Wednesday 19 October 2005 00:12, Peppe rakstija:
> I think that KDE4, during the first time wizard, should ask
> the user about his skills (beginners / advanced user).

In my opinion the whole problem ought to be approached form different side,
avoiding this "developer syndrome".

Mind you... the system is NOT the main part of this dialog.  User is.

Instead of interrogating user and "from the big horse" asking him about his
skill level, system should ask user (if anything) what kind of system he
would prefer right after installation. For example,
(a) simplified but easy to use; (b) complex with all "bells and whistles"
enabled but unforgiving any error; etc.  I do not insist on exactly these
expressions, just wanted to remind that USER is the main person in this
process and he/she should decide what he/she wants. System shall obey.

Harijs

P.S. Azimov's three laws of robotics are well worth to re-read... :-)))