List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: About KMail Toolbar Mail Icons (ATD)
From:       Zak Jensen <coolguyzak () gmail ! com>
Date:       2005-09-30 12:05:40

On 9/30/05, Sébastien Laoût <slaout@linux62.org> wrote:
> Le Vendredi 30 Septembre 2005 00:52, Zak Jensen a écrit:
> > I think part of the issue here is the ambiguity of the term mail in
> > English, where the singular and plural forms of the word are identical
> > (in American English, a single piece of mail is usually referred to as
> > a letter).
> >
> > It is interesting to note that in the circles I travel in, the plural
> > form of email switches dependent on context. "I have to fire off
> > several emails before I go to lunch". "Sure, I'll go to lunch after
> > checking my email". I wonder how many other dialects/languages this
> > also occurs in--but I digress.
>
> I wasn't aware of this!
> So, the "several mails in the icon because of plural term" is not valid.
> But still is the "we often send/retreive several mails at once" point.

I'm not quite sure what you mean here, so I'll just enumerate the
different methods of sending:
1) Send now - single mail item
2) Send queued messages - several mail items
3) Get messages from server - several mail items

> > Hmm. It may be better to make the envelope stand on its horizontal for
> > the reply (and forward, if this occurs as well). In all 3 situations
> > (new, reply, forward), the user has the opportunity to edit or add to
> > the email. The act of sending it hasn't yet occurred--and is not
> > actually related to the reply action itself. For instance, I could
> > choose to reply to a message, but then save it as a draft.
>
> Hum, while I don't care if it's horizontal or rotated, I don't get your point.
> Why horizontal is better for "new, reply, forward"? For what meaning?

When you select the new, reply or forward options, an edit mail box
will display itself. In essence, selecting reply or forward doesn't
actually send the mail. I was implying that only the acts which
involved actually sending the email should have the rotated envelope.

To illustrate my point, select this email in KMail. Click on reply.
Now, select file>save as draft. The email is not being sent to either
me or the kde-usability mailing list.

-Zak