List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: About KMail Toolbar Mail Icons (ATD)
From:       Sébastien_Laoût <slaout () linux62 ! org>
Date:       2005-09-30 11:43:49

Le Vendredi 30 Septembre 2005 00:52, Zak Jensen a écrit :
> I think part of the issue here is the ambiguity of the term mail in
> English, where the singular and plural forms of the word are identical
> (in American English, a single piece of mail is usually referred to as
> a letter).
>
> It is interesting to note that in the circles I travel in, the plural
> form of email switches dependent on context. "I have to fire off
> several emails before I go to lunch". "Sure, I'll go to lunch after
> checking my email". I wonder how many other dialects/languages this
> also occurs in--but I digress.

I wasn't aware of this!
So, the "several mails in the icon because of plural term" is not valid.
But still is the "we often send/retreive several mails at once" point.

> Hmm. It may be better to make the envelope stand on its horizontal for
> the reply (and forward, if this occurs as well). In all 3 situations
> (new, reply, forward), the user has the opportunity to edit or add to
> the email. The act of sending it hasn't yet occurred--and is not
> actually related to the reply action itself. For instance, I could
> choose to reply to a message, but then save it as a draft.

Hum, while I don't care if it's horizontal or rotated, I don't get your point.
Why horizontal is better for "new, reply, forward"? For what meaning?

> The imagery really helped on this one. I agree that the "new" icons
> you are proposing seem more intuitive to me. (Particularly since I
> only speak English, thus wasn't exactly sure what each icon meant).

Good.

> I never understood the crystal set. If I remember, though, they are
> not "editable", as everaldo owns them. May be wrong here.

Oh yes, that's true.
So, only everaldo will be able to modify them.

> Interesting idea. It is important as well, to put in a distinction
> between the single mail sending this entails and the multiple nature
> of send/recieve queued. I'm not sure if the "send now" icon will be as
> identifiable as you intend it to be though.

Well, that's true...
We have to try to see if the icon is still identifiable!