List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: Show desktop behaviour
From:       Sébastien_Laoût <slaout () linux62 ! org>
Date:       2005-09-30 11:09:16

Le Vendredi 30 Septembre 2005 02:09, Zak Jensen a écrit :
> Well, if we monitor certain actions of a user, and we make a few
> assumptions, we can create a button that helps users instead of
> getting in their way. What do I mean by this? Make the button do
> different things based on the input that it recieves from the
> environment.
>
> If a user shows the desktop then opens a file/app, chances are they
> want to edit/run the file--hence, it is safe to restore the prevous
> workspace.
>
> If a user shows the desktop then opens a folder or device on the
> desktop, chances are they still want to work with the desktop, and so
> the desktop should remain shown.
>
> If a user selects an application from the start menu or restores an
> application from the task bar, chances are they wanted to clear the
> mess of windows off of their desktop. So, the desktop should remain
> shown.
>
> If a user selects the show desktop button again, chances are they were
> contemplating their wallpaper. So, the desktop should restore itself.
>
> If a user presses the show desktop button while there are one or more
> windows displayed, chances are they want to show the desktop... so
> minimize their windows.
>
> The assumptions made above are those that I would expect. Actual
> testing should occur to see how user workflows work in each of the
> situations I described above. My real point was to elaborate an
> "intelligent desktop" scheme, where the desktop tries to figure out
> what the user was doing, and accomodate them.

I think this is the better proposed solution.

If we agree the "Show desktop" is a step for two goals:

* Minimize all Windows to start to do something else;
* Show the desktop temporarly to be able to launch a file/folder/app
  (like we show the KMenu temporarly and when launching a file/folder/app
  we return the the previous windows state)

Then, the desktop should know what the user have done after the "Show Desktop"
press and act according to one of those two scenarios.

However, I don't see what is different by openning a file/app and openning a
folder/device. Why should they act differently?

Now, I tryed and, at least in KDE 3.4.0, the desktop is almost already doing
that smart stuff...