List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: Managing multiple desktops
From:       Lubos Lunak <l.lunak () suse ! cz>
Date:       2005-05-20 8:58:39

On Thursday 19 of May 2005 19:46, Joseph Garvin wrote:
> I think the shortest path between two points here is giving KWin a more
> robust DCOP interface so that users can script this sort of stuff
> themselves (although some of those, like title bar on all sides,
> probably require other KWin changes). Right now KWin's DCOP is pretty
> useless.

 You're welcome to improve it. It shouldn't be that difficult.

> Mikolaj Machowski wrote:
> >Dnia wtorek 17 maj 2005 10:11, Lubos Lunak napisał:
> >> Are you talking about the possibility to manually configure different
> >>settings for each window, which is as you say to a lesser extent
> >>possible now even with KWin, or is there something more I'm not aware
> >>of?
> >
> >This is bunch of ideas from FVWM which could be nice in KWin. I can live
> >without them but maybe someone find them interesting:
> >
> >Possibility to define classes of windows for placing and managing.
> >Layers (z-index) for window positioning

 You can affect all of that with window-specific settings as far as I can say.

> >Another style of desktop managing: Pages and Windows.
> >
> >Possibility to shade window even if without window decorations. I found
> >those one pixel lines more efficient in most cases than alt-tabbing or
> >minimizing.
> >
> >Do action if window is maximized.
> >
> >Better handling of mouse gestures. KDE mg require very precise mouse
> >movement.

 Could you be more specific here?

> >Title bars on all sides off window.
> >
> >Separation of title bar and window.

 The rest of the stuff sounds like something that may perfectly fit into an
everything-and-the-kitchensync WM like FVWM, but is probably way too specific
for a WM like KWin.

--
Lubos Lunak
KDE developer