List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Managing multiple desktops
From:       David Laban <alsuren () gmail ! com>
Date:       2005-05-15 0:45:04

I realise that this is probably a bit of a silly time to bring this up (what
with the user profiles thread in full swing) but here goes:

The jewel in the crown of Linux DEs (for power users at least) is undoubtedly
virtual desktops..... unless you count middle-click-to-paste..... or
Aspell.... okay, so it's just a nice thing to have.

I try to keep one desktop for each of: net, chat, relaxation, mail, real work,
and admin(generally has a root terminal on or something) however:

 Every so often, I'll find that all my applications are open on the same one
(admittedly, this is entirely my own fault) and I go on a re-arranging spree.

This is what this currently involves:

1) click the appropriate desktop
2) right-click the appropriate program
3) click "to current desktop"

Total: 2 clicks plus 1 per desktop

And this is what I would *like* to be able to do:

1) click the appropriate desktop
2) middle click on the taskbar entry so it automatically goes "to current
desktop" (or raises itself and gets focus if it's already here)

Total: 1 click plus 1 per desktop

Basically, add an action in settings:/Desktop/Taskbar and call it "raise to
current desktop" or something, giving it the same functionality as "to
current desktop" if it's available, or the same as "Raise Task" if the
program is already on the current desktop.

Sometimes I wish I knew more about C++/Qt/dcop because a lot of usability
related things seem like they'd be pretty simple to code to someone in the
know. Does anyone know of any online resources that I could use to get me
started?