List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: Kicker find as you type
From:       Aaron Seigo <aseigo () kde ! org>
Date:       2005-05-06 19:17:32

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On May 6, 2005 11:39, Thomas Zander wrote:
> Well; while I am typing text in the kmenu, and I press the alt key, just
> for a second, and my work (the search entry I was formulating) is gone
> without any explanation why. This is something I consider a bad thing.
> People make mistakes all the time and just accidently pressing the alt key
> is surely not far fetched at all.  Or am I really seeing things here?

that would be a "bug", and fortunately fairly easy to fix. when i implemented
a similar text box in TOM waaaaay back when to see how it would feel, i had
to throw an eventFilter to catch things like the Alt key so that when you
were in the text box unless you clicked out, pressed up, down or tab you
couldn't lose focus.

> Now what frustrates _me_ in this thread is an answer like "i don't see the
> need to use the ALT key" :-)

the alt key closing the menu when the line edit has focus is indeed an issue,
but not a stopper for the concept esp since it's easily solvable.

i guess i'm really not particularly interested in the microusability issues at
this point, since they are usually solvable with enough code / craftiness,
and i suppose my having done something very similar in the past helps with
that confidence =) .. i'm a bit (hyper-)concentrated on the *concept* of
having a search in the menu.

to be perfectly honest, i'd love to have a very good reason to say, "The KMenu
is irrevocably broken. It must be replaced. Let's replace it." but i don't
feel comfortable saying that until i've tried my damndest to improve it, on
the outside chance that it can be improved in some useful way so as to allow
us to preserve the familiar interface but in usable form. i have no idea how
this will eventually pan out at this point. =)

--
Aaron J. Seigo
Society is Geometric