List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: Kicker find as you type
From:       Thomas Zander <zander () kde ! org>
Date:       2005-05-06 17:39:19

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Friday 06 May 2005 18:48, Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> i suppose what i'm really uncomfortable with in this discussion about why
> a line edit is bad is that it's talking about possible problems that just
> don't seem to map to the kmenu very well at all.

Well; while I am typing text in the kmenu, and I press the alt key, just for
a second, and my work (the search entry I was formulating) is gone without
any explanation why. This is something I consider a bad thing.
People make mistakes all the time and just accidently pressing the alt key
is surely not far fetched at all.  Or am I really seeing things here?

Now what frustrates _me_ in this thread is an answer like "i don't see the
need to use the ALT key" :-)
which just is totally not a constructive way to solve these issues.  If
answers like that are anything to go by then I stick to my point that this
will not work.

I appreciate how you try new things and dare to go where nobody went before
(yes, I honestly do!); but I'm going to spent my time elsewhere if your
solution is to ignore problems I personally think are very likely to occur.

So; if you please; go back to those 3 issues and try to figure out why these
issues are issues in my mind, and work with them.
Perhaps a couple of user tests are in order since I might just be worrying
about nothing, I have no problem proven to be wrong (where proven is the
operative word), any more then the next geek.

--
Thomas Zander