List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: Usability study of KPrinter
From:       Diego Moya <turingt () gmail ! com>
Date:       2005-03-31 22:09:27

Not trying to troll by mentioning the enemy, but I just *love* how
this is solved in Gnome 2.10:
http://www.gnomejournal.org/images/r1-printui.png

Three tabs, each one for a different task: one for selecting the
document pages range and the number of copies (a la Windows), other
for managing printers and selecting different printing profiles, and
the last one to set page margins and orientation. "Print preview" and
"Print" are available in all three.

> > > The icon (a magic wand) is not enough to suggest what action
> > > it performs.
> >
> > That's definitely true.
>
> Any suggestion for a different icon?

It is not seen in the image I linked above, but in Gnome 2.10 the icon
for adding a printer is, well, a printer and a "+" sign.

> > > I mean basic settings like Color/BW, format, number of copies, Landscape/
> > > Portrait, which pages, should be visible before printing, etc.
In Gnome this is the Configure button that opens a separate dialog.
Maybe this could be in the same panel, since it doesnīt have much
information.

Of course KDE must do itīs own usability analysis and may come to a
different solution. But the basic requisites will be the same - the
common tasks than you can do with the printer module and the CUPS
back-end, so a similar approach . Gnome and KDE donīt share code, but
they often share the good ideas. I think this is a place where they
could do it again.