List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: Usability study of KPrinter
From:       Joerg Hoh <joerg () joerghoh ! de>
Date:       2005-03-31 23:08:34

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Thu, Mar 31, 2005 at 08:16:47PM +0000, Kurt Pfeifle wrote:

> > This "dialog" is overcrowded.
> > - Settings for this print job ("Properties"-Button)
> > - Options-Button (to expand the window and show more settings affecting
> >   this print job
> > - the "System Options" button
> >
> > Speaking of the "Properties"-Button: The buttons of the opening window
> > ("Configuration of ... - kprinter") has 3 buttons. What's the difference
> > between "Save" and "ok"?
>
> "Save" stores the current settings (even if you click "Cancel" after
> "Save"). These are then used for all future printouts where settings
> are not modified.
>
> "Print" prints with the current settings (which may have been modified,
> but not saved for the future).
>
> Example: I usually have "duplex printing" saved as my default. If I
> exceptionally want to print a simplex job, I open the settings, modify
> to "no duplex" and hit "Print", but not "Save". This way, my next job
> will again default to "duplex".

Why not name it "Use once" and "use permanently" or something like that.
It's confusing because in a dialog "OK" usually makes the settings
I've choosen permanent.

> Is a bug report button a HIG requirement for all KDE apps?
>
> > Starting kprinter as a single application I noticed the following:
> >
> > - It looks like a dialog.
>
> It *is* a dialog. But very much looks like if it is started from an
> application's menu.

It's a dialog, even if I start kprinter as a standalone application?

> > - The "files" tab is highly inconsistent:
> >   * double clicking an entry doesn't have an effect
>
> What effect do you expect?

The same action as that "open file" button right next to the file list.

> >   * the heading of that list has a confusing tool-tip
>
> Agreed. (When I added the WhatsThis for 3.4, I couldnt figure out how
> to change that.)
>
> >   * what's the difference between the "add file" and "open file" buttons on
> >     the right?
>
> See the WhatsThis   ;-P

Could you rename the "open file" thing to "preview file" or something like
that? Opening a file in a printing dialog is somewhat confusing, I'm then
thinking of opening a file like in an editor.

> >   * the entries doesn't have a context menu (only the "what's this" item)
>
> What context menu entries do you expect for the file list entries?

The actions currently at the right side of that file list could be
implemented as entries in context menus.

Jörg

--
Was denen einen ihr Watergate, ist den anderen ihr Firstgate.
- Thomas Bliessner, <slrnd1hklm.g53.nospam@melix.com.mx>