List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: Usability study of KPrinter
From:       Kurt Pfeifle <k1pfeifle () gmx ! net>
Date:       2005-03-31 20:31:04

> > > Hm, just noticed, that if I start kprinter as a separate programm there
> > > isn't such a checkbox ... If I use kprinter via "File, Print..." in kpdf
> > > there is this preview checkbox. Strange thing.
> >
> > Perhaps beacause when you launch kprinter alone, there is nothing to
> > preview ?
>
> Why not? I've found that in many cases, the Preview is missing when it would
> be useful (from Mozilla, for instance)

This *may* be implemented in the future. (However note, that when you
configure "kprinter" to be used by Mozilla, this basically is like
starting kprinter as a standalone app, and feeding Mozilla's PostScript
output to it [which is taken from a temp file]. This basically is a hack,
a "crutch" for you so to at all get a decent print UI from Mozilla. It is
not the same as if kprinter's API can properly interface with a KDE app's
internals, and this app directly pipes its PostScript output to kprinter....)

> and available when it is completely
> useless (KGhostview/KPDF)

I strongly disagree.    ;-P

In kprinter, you may have configured to only print a selected range of
pages. Or printout in "2-up" mode to save paper. Or print in "pamphlet"
mode. Or with the "poster" pre-filter....

The preview will show you the resulting printout then, which looks different
from the original page layout in kpdf or kghostview....

Cheers,
Kurt