List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Show/Hide vs Checkbox
From:       Tim Hutt <tdh29 () cam ! ac ! uk>
Date:       2005-03-30 0:18:49

Hi,

Just a quick note to say that using menu items that change from (for example)
'Show Offline Users' to 'Hide Offline Users' is a poor design.

Changing the text requires that you actually *read* the menu each and every
time you use it. This is obviously bad. Most people navigate gui's primarily
by position. This is why they top left menu is always 'File' (or similar) and
contains 'New', 'Open', 'Save' in that order. And 'Exit'/'Close' at the
bottom. It helps to know where things are.

Now obviously the menu items don't change place, but it is much much easier to
find a constant text and see if the checkbox next to it is checked than it is
to read the first word (and Show and Hide look quite similar).

Grrrr!

Bad examples of this are: Kopete->Settings->First 5 options
And: Juk->View->First 3 options.

Anyway, enough of the rant. I should probably file specific bug reports with
patches if I want anything to happen about this right?

-Tim