List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: What is obvious?; Context sensitive sidebars.
From:       Charles de Miramon <cmiramon () kde-france ! org>
Date:       2005-03-14 15:55:03

Le Dimanche 13 Mars 2005 16:57, Sven Burmeister a écrit :

> http://de.kde-apps.org/content/show.php?content=21168
>
> What do you think of it? The problem eith this one is, that you have to
> chose, either file-tree, or metabar, yet for beginners the file-tree would
> not be that important I guess.
>
> Sven

I think Metabar is an interesting project and maybe could be a way to take
away some fat of Konqueror Menus. You should work with the Metabar coder on
it.

I find the idea of context sensitive sidebars à la Windows XP quite nice but
when I watch Windows XP users they don't seem to use them a lot. Is it a fact
that other people have experimented ?

More generally, I think what we need for KDE4  some kind of
kde-usability-playground where replacements / alternative / enhancements of
usability for KDE standard applications (KControl, Konqueror, Kicker) could
be included and tested and if people are happy with it migrated into the main
line. They are a lot of ideas on KDE-Look from new developers that don't have
CVS access and it seems that some energy is lost. We should try to push these
people to take a path from homegrown hack to CVS.

Cheers,
Charles
--
cmiramon@kde-france.org